During construction site inspection, person overlooks the open ladder and falls two meters along the scaffolding ladder Fortunately, this only causes bruises on the axilla, thorax and flank. However, in the event of an impact, the smartphone in the right trouser pocket is severely deformed, catches fire immediately due to short circuit and burns the buttocks. With maximum of 3% affected body surface, the three degrees of burns, reddening of the skin, blistering and centrally located dermal tissue destruction, merge into one another. Immediate deletion attempts by emergency witnesses prevent worse. When the ambulance service arrives, the mobile phone is glowing hot. Despite the widespread use of cell phones, reports of explosions and fires in the lithium-ion batteries installed in them are rare. In the literature there are increasing references to sometimes severe, extensive burns as result of malfunctions in cell phones. This case shows that wearing smartphone close to the body can result in additional and not insignificant injuries in the event of fall.
Dr. med. Stefan H. Bosch, Institute for Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Mühlacker Hospital, email@example.com
Conflict of interest: The author declares that there is no conflict of interest.
How to cite: Bosch SH: A fall from scaffold, an ignited smartphone, and burn on the buttocks. Dtsch Arztebl Int 2018; 115: 298 . DOI: 10.3238 / arztebl.2018.0298a
►The German version of this article is available online: www.-international. de