Göttingen - In the Göttingen transplant scandal, the accused doctor is initially at large. His lawyers deposited half million euros in cash as bail, as spokesman for the regional court said on Tuesday. The arrest warrant against the former head of the Göttingen transplant medicine. The doctor had been in custody since January.
At the hearing on Monday, the judges had already announced conviction for attempted manslaughter. The doctor is said to have helped eleven patients with incorrect information to obtain donor livers, in violation of the regulations. Other sick patients may have died as result. There is also the threat of conviction for negligent homicide: the surgeon is said to have transplanted liver into woman without medical necessity. She later died. The trial will continue on January 6th.